Thursday, August 29, 2024

The birds of Skiathos Island - Greece

At the middle of august I was in Skiathos for holiday. I had some time to look for birds. So here I will post some photos & info with the species I found during this trip.

The best birding spot was the medieval Kastro from the northern are of the island. I found there 6 species of birds : 

        Eleonora's falcon (Falco eleonorae) : 


        Alpine swift (Tachymarptis melba, formerly Apus melba):



        Pallid swift (Apus pallidus):


        Red-rumped swallow (Cecropis daurica):

 


         Barn swallow (Hirundo rustica):

 


        Blue rock thrush (Monticola solitarius):


 

 In many places of the island I found the common pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)


and Yellow-legged gull (Larus michahellis):

 


I also saw a common buzzard (Buteo buteo)  but I don't have photos with it. 

In Skiathos town I saw sardinian warblers (Curruca melanocephala, formerly Sylvia melanocephala) and I also don't have photos with it.

In Skiathos town, in the old port area, I saw a lot of common swifts (Apus apus)

 

 I also saw a Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) at Limni Strofilia Lake and 2 mute swans (Cygnus olor) on Troullos beach:

 


As a conclusion, there are not so many species of birds in Skiathos. I don't think Skiathos it is a birding destination, the island is rather famous for its beautiful beaches and nice colorfull reefs fish. 

But if you go there in vacation, and want to invest some time in birding, you can find a few species of birds. Go out very morning when the temperature is low and the birds are active.


I will finish my post here with a few more pictures Eleonora's falcon (Falco eleonorae) : 









 

 

 

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment